Thomas Cook – Manchester United Partnership Launch
06 October 2014
In August 2010, Thomas Cook signed a deal with one of the world’s leading sport teams, Manchester United, to become Official Travel Partner. Hatch was assigned to work alongside the club to announce the new sponsorship to the global press.
- To achieve maximum profile and awareness of the new partnership, positioning the two brands together in a positive business announcement.
- To maximise the properties available on the day including a press conference, the use of Old Trafford and agree player appearances.
Strategy and Tactics
- To launch the new partnership, MUFC and Thomas Cook held a beach-themed event at Old Trafford to announce Thomas Cook as the Official Travel Partner of Manchester United to the media and to the fans.
- Journalists from a range of titles – business, sport, sponsorship, finance and travel – were invited the event for a Q&A and to meet the staff
- Key stakeholders attended and spoke at the event, including David Gill, Sir Bobby Charlton and relevant people from Thomas Cook.
- Six players from the club attended – Michael Carrick, Paul Scholes, Anderson, Fabio, Gabriel Obertan and Darren Fletcher.
- Branded media interviews were agreed in advance working alongside the MUFC press office